Friday, January 2, 2009

Moving and resolutions

I helped a friend move some furniture today. Not much, just a few couches. That was enough.

I was told once that a "true" friend would never ask you to help them move.

I have a pickup. Therefore I am qualified to help people move "stuff".

I have always had a pickup. I have a bunch of stuff that occasionally has to be moved. It has to be moved from point A, to point B, back to point A, then to point C, and if there is time, make a point D and move it there. Do you get what I am saying? I like to make work for myself. That is why I have a pickup.

I don't mind helping out someone occasionally.

I have known about this move that I helped with today for a few weeks. I remembered it off and on. Today it was on. CRAP. Stairs, doorways, dirt, bushes, the bed of my truck that has hauled many a greasy engine and parts, dirt, night. You name it, we had to overcome it today. We only had a reprieve from the rain. It rained earlier and luckily it was just frigid not rainy.

It was surprisingly easy. Just the fact that I am "kind of" out of shape. And by kind of, I mean that I am horribly, terribly, remorsefully, beyond any condition that would be considered "in shape". The last time I was in a gym, Clinton was in the White House and the U.S. had a budget surplus! Made this anything other than a piece of cake.

Maybe I should make a new years resolution.

Which one should I make though? Go to the gym? Don't help move anyone? Go on a diet? Go on a diet AND go to the gym? Try not to do anything that will remind me that I need to exercise? Well, that last one really won't go over well. Every now and then I just get this little reminder that I am not as young, or fit, as I used to be.

If only I could go back to 1986 at the peak of my fitness when I was a firefighter for the state. The epitome of "me".

Well maybe after I made it through Navy dive school. Which was 2 weeks in HELL with Navy Seals pushing 24 hours a day to make sure that I would not crack under pressure was the epitome of physical me, but mentally that was another story.

I wish I could have done all my moving then. I wouldn't be where I am now, would I?

2 comments:

Gloria said...

LOL!

dawnn said...

if only my dad were still alive! that stupid flatbed truck he had moved more stuff than I think anyone cares to remember...