Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dog Days of Summer

I think that I finally understand the term "dog days of summer".

I grew up in rural Oregon where it rarely edged over 90 degrees in the summer. It also rarely snowed in the winter. Just lucky I guess.

I would hear of these "dog days" and never knew what they meant. I think finally after 11 years in Redding I get it.

Dog days means that it is SO BLOODY HOT THAT ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS LIE AROUND LIKE A DOG ALL DAY.

Well up until a few weeks ago I didn't "get it". Well, maybe I just hadn't experienced it. I have lived here and worked here for the last 11 years. I guess that I was kind of acclimated to the summer when I was working here full time.

In fact, I remember starring down the setting sun at MarketFest one year when we were tied with the HOTTEST PLACE ON EARTH (and probably one that was NOT on Earth)! I sat there in the early evening trying to sell sandwiches (the best in town, I might add) and facing West. Not seeing that many people and really questioning my career path at that point.

Since I now don't have to leave the house in the morning during the "cool" hours. You know, less that 80 or so, to go to work and be in and out the heat all day. When I do leave, it is at least 25 degrees hotter than my "comfy" house.

Since I have been working in Berkeley, and it is Summer, I am often cold. I have been out of pants since May. Well not out, just put away so that my shorts are now easy to get, instead of those oh so warm pants. I have several pairs of pants. I have pants that are lined with flannel to keep me warm on those cold winter days in Redding. The thought of wearing them now gets me close to experiencing heat stroke.

I even find that my home air conditioner isn't as cool as it should be when I set it to 75. Now that's just unsane, irrational, but unsane.

COME ON REDDING, I ONLY HAVE SO MANY CLOTHES TO TAKE OFF! Sheesh, give a guy a break. 111, 115, 119 degrees? Really get serious. Although I will admit, you generally get my attention at 110, but after 110 that is just silly.

I now get the term "Dog days of Summer". All I want to do is lay around, scratch myself and lap up cool bowls of water.

I just wish that I could be that happy chasing a ball.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Makes me want to hop on the 1st plane heading your way....NOT! I know the good out weighs the heat!