Saturday, March 28, 2009

Math

"Math is hard, let's make cookies for the boys!"

So many of my favorite quotes come from The Simpsons. Some are so true, and some just funny.

I have not been in a math class since I was in the Navy. Then it was all calculus and physics.

For the last few weeks, when I was home I was treated to helping Andrea with her math homework.

I know I can do it. I understand it. I like it, now. I did have to have a refresher course on shapes and geometry. I remembered a few of the formulas. Although, not in their correct application. Pi r squared is always a good one to throw out. 1/2 base times height. Another good one. 4pi r squared, always fun.

Just plug the measurements into the correct formula for the problem at hand and you have an answer. That answer may or may not be right, but it is your answer. A few tricks with the calculator later and I have figured out my fatal error. I can't read my own writing and put it the wrong number for h squared. Oh well live and learn.

Andrea learned a LOT today. I relearned some things. Found out how much I had forgot. Well not all of what I have forgot, but a good sampling of what is missing.

I also learned how frustrating it can be to try and teach someone a subject that they are having a hard time grasping.

Of course the toughest problem for the day.

Q: 2 boys + 1 television + ravenous appetites - peace and quiet - self control - the capacity to remember what you were just told 5 minutes ago = ?

A: frustration/give them whatever it takes to keep them somewhat quiet.

Although when the correct answers started flowing, with the correct formulas and legible hand writing all came together, I could tell that the transfer of knowledge was happening.

By George, I think she's got it!

Well at least some of it, the rest will come later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put....hope the whole house can whip this MATH!!