Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cleaning the unit.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Well here it is just about 3 years from the time that I stopped "doing" eBay I am back.

Apparently, there is not much call for certain vintage British/European car and motorcycle parts in Redding. Well not enough for me to get rid of 1/100 of the parts that I have acquired, in my or my great great great grandchildren's lifetime. Well at least not in Redding. There just is not enough demand.

Sure, Craigslist is a boon to mankind. Kind of the way that eBay was, in that it rids you of excess "stuff" in your life. Some have even made a living/starving on them. I know that I have had my share of success on both. They are some of the greatest electronic enablers of our time.


I am sure that there will be a better, faster, cheaper, and easier to use system someday. I don't know what, where or when that will happen, but until it does, I will just have to put up with Craigslist and eBay to get rid of my junk/garbage/gems/other man's treasures.

So, anyway.... We emptied out one of my storage units earlier in the month. I have had this storage for over 4 years. Holding a bunch of "stuff". Stuff that I just could not bring myself to get rid of. So with work in the Bay Area slowing, and my children's appetite growing, I did the unthinkable.

I renewed my love/hate affair with eBay. Mistress of all that is saleable/shippable. Sure I am home more, but I am also on the computer more. Well when I say I am on the computer more, I should also say that I am "productively" on the computer more, in that I am now more productive when I am on the computer. Rather than looking at youtube to see what the Chad Vader is doing today. Did he finally get his store under control?

There is a lot of research that goes into selling descriptions. I need to make sure that I encompass all the applications of an item to make sure that I engage the largest crowd possible to fight over the right of winning the prize. The prize being a part that I can no longer look at. A part that I have since said my fond farewell. A part that I may have to pay the city to take care of for me, instead of someone paying me for the joy of taking off of my hands.

Yes; I have renewed this affair, if you will. I think that now we have both grown and maybe this time it will work out. Maybe this time we can live together. Maybe this time it will be different. Maybe this time I will finally empty my garage and the last storage unit.

Like I said, desperate times call for desperate measures. I am desperate to quit paying rent on a storage unit full of my "treasures/trash". But I just can't bring myself to toss the stuff. It must be useful to someone.

I just need to find that someone, and have them pay me for my junk....er stuff.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

You're good man Charlie Brown....know this is a tough one!

Adam said...

Are you sure you wanted to clean out the unit last week, what with the house guest coming? Now you don't have a place to escape to!Just some light in-law humor...Have a great one!