Sunday, April 19, 2009

Airplanes and helicopters oh my!

Airplanes were the topic Saturday morning. Saturday was the Young Eagles Fly Free day in Redding.

All the young children, I don't know the cap on the age, but there were teen-agers there, could take a free flight with a private pilot.

I don't know what types of aircraft we were looking at, except to say there were airplanes and 1 helicopter. The airplanes were different designs and types. The helicopter was definitely different than the CHP chopper that was also there, but not giving free flights.

We went to this last Father's Day and man, the lines, the lines.... Couple that with triple digit temperatures and you have one loooonnnng sweaty, sun-burned day.

This year we arrived much earlier, around 9am.

Apparently not earlier enough! By the time we made it through the line to get a number to wait for a flight, we were number 52 and 53. Dexter and Felex did not want to ride together as they both wanted to be "co-pilot".

Dexter got his wish, Felex did not. Felex took a ride with strangers and got the same "brotherly" treatment from these kids. Although, I don't think that it made a difference to the kids he was riding with. It was just the order that the pilot put them into the cabin.

Dexter of course made friends with the pilot with a lot of "airplane-ese" speak. Instant friends.

We actually made pretty good time. There were at least 7 planes taking kids and of course the helicopter.

Finally our turn came, around 11am. Awesome! We can get out of here before noon! What a break for the parents!!

Or so you would think.

Apparently, Dexter found out that you could also get a ride on the helicopter.

BONUS!, for Dex. Not a bonus for Mom and Dad. Not that we don't want Dexter and Felex to have a ride in a helicopter. It is just that there are other things that need to get done and the fact that we have just had the switch turned from nice 80 or so degree days to getting too close to triple digits in less than a week. No acclimation, no warning, no gentle ramp up. I think that we had a fire in the fireplace about 2 weeks ago. Then all too soon near 100 degree temperature?!!

Oh, what was I thinking, this is Redding. The weather changes daily here. Great now I have to dig out my shorts and put away my flannel lined jeans and wool lined cap. Although I did see a kid today wearing a wool knit cap. No, I think that I will only fry my brain more. Mmmmm, brain... Where was I?

Oh yeah, Kids Fly Free day.

Felex was done. Even though he signed up for the helicopter flight, he did not want to go another minute without food. I took him home and we had sandwiches. I got the phone call to come back and get them as Dexter was next and I should arrive about the time he got back.

More red tape and Dexter was not next.

Luckily, Dexter had made friends with the helicopter pilot and his kids. Dexter WAS on the next flight with the pilot and his children. Not any of the other kids that were waiting.

Dexter got the co-pilot seat in the helicopter as well.

1 happy kid! I think that Felex may be considering a career in flight as well. They got certificates, bracelets, pictures, memories, and maybe even a little sunburn.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

You're a good dad!!!