Monday, May 4, 2009

Hair

I don't normally look too closely at myself in the mirror, at least not my hair. Sure I have to look at myself when I shave or risk losing a lip or earlobe. I mean that I just don't look too carefully at myself. It just never seemed that important to me. I am not about looks, I'm about content!

I keep my hair short so I don't have to mess with it. I shave when I remember. I brush my teeth. You know, the regular stuff. I just don't spend that much time "looking".

Well, the other day I saw some pictures that were taken about 12 years ago. Not that much time, but enough to make some subtle differences in my appearance.

I looked much younger, my hair darker, and my gut less defined.

I guess that when I do look at myself in the mirror, maybe every other day or so. Certainly no more than a week will go by without me at least catching a glimpse of myself reflecting somewhere. I don't see too much difference. I usually notice when I shave that the hair on the back of my head is longer than it needs to be, then it is time to get a hair cut.

Today, I went to get my hair cut. A very nice girl cut it. She was asking how I would like it cut. What length to cut it on the back of my head, the top, and the sides. She said that the grey in my hair was very "distinguishing". I thanked her then looked for myself. GREY?

Now I know that I have had some grey hair on the sides of my head for years. But when I looked into the mirror in the very brightly lit hair cutting place, I saw something that I was not prepared for. Grey hair mixed throughout the top of my head. Sure there is not that much. Maybe 5% of the total hair on the top of my head has some grey mixed in here and there. But it is there. Taunting me.

When did that happen? It had to have been coming on for some time now! Why wasn't I informed? Who is in charge of this operation? Which grey hair belongs to what kid?

While I have messed around with some different hair styles over the years, most were too much work. I have always wanted to be "wash and wear", "get up and go". I don't want to waste too much time messing with a bunch of dead cells that will never continue doing what I want them to do anyway without massive amounts of gel or some other hair-holding super agent.

My hair is too fine and wimpy for many of the regular hair styles, so I just keep it short and let it do what it wants to do. Although I always thought that I would be in charge of the color. I guess that I was wrong.

2 comments:

Gloria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gloria said...

I love how you find humor in the most amazing things....we love each and every one of those gray hairs....