Monday, December 15, 2008

I love the smell of sap at Christmas

Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how different you look in my house.
When I saw you at the lot,
You had more needles and cost a lot,

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree,
how happy my kids will be..

Well you know the real song.

It is always different. I mean, how we get the tree. We went to a live lot and cut our own a couple of time. We went up into the forest and cut a tree a few times. We bought a live tree a few times. We have gone to a tree lot and bought a pre-cut tree a few times.

Before we were married and had kids, we did not always get a tree. One year we put a motorcycle frame on our porch in San Francisco and lit it up with lights. We had people stopping and asking if they could take pictures. We still have a few old photos laying around of that bike.

Now with kids, I HAVE to have a tree. There is no room for bargaining on this issue. NONE!

On one hand, I am against cutting down a perfectly good tree, decorating it, looking at it for a few weeks, and then tossing it out. I see it as horribly wasteful, but at certain times necessary.

Tonight, I took the kids to a tree lot that a friend of ours owns. I know that I can always do a little horse trading with Buck. It usually works out very well for both of us. I was standing next to a nice fire talking to Buck and the kids were entertaining themselves running around the tree lot and making noise. You know, like children that may have been raised by wolves, but really weren't, they just like to act that way while one or the other parent is occupied and can't say anything.

They made a few passes at the fire and then came back with candy canes in their mouths. Told me that they had found a tree and were gone again. A few minutes later and they came back and informed me that they had also found a tree for their room.

Well, we left the tree lot with two trees in tow and the promise that I will free up one of the stainless steel tables that my friend Buck is looking for in trade.

The trees only have to spend one more night outside. Then we will bring them in, decorate them, light them, put presents under them, and then hopefully recycle them.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Westley your words paint the perfect picture I can even hear the joy of the boys search....have fun decorating...