Friday, December 5, 2008

My MGB

I saw it from the window of a Greyhound bus. I was on my way to go through a physical to enter the Navy. I had to remember where it was as I was in an area that I was unfamiliar with. Two weeks later and several attempts to retrace the bus route and I found it.

Poor thing. Sitting out in a field with only a few sheep to keep it company. The top was so rotted that it immediately went to shreds in your hand. The paint, what there was of it, was not at all appealing, thought it was peeling. There was rust, dents, dings, bumps, holes, spiders and wasp nests. I immediately knew that I had to have it. After all, it was in better shape than the one I was currently driving.

I had a 72 that had come in contact, at high speed in reverse, with another vehicle. Long story. This one was a 67, the preferred year by many. No major body damage. Several shades of red, and bondo in color.

I towed it home and performed an engine-ectomy and power plant transplant. It took about 3 days to get it up and running, more or less safely. Almost as long at the DMV to get it registered and a new title in my name. The longest part of the registration process was the application to keep the original black and yellow California plates.

I started driving it and I drove it for several years and many tens of thousands of miles. At least 3 times back and forth across the country. Countless times up and down the state.

I had it repainted a lovely shade of "Kermit the Frog" green with some black racing stripes when I was stationed in Hawaii. I drove it around and around and around and around the island.

Did you know that they have Interstate highways in Hawaii that don't go to other states? They don't even go to other islands!

Anyway, years later, I loaned it to my roommate while her car was not working. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have let her drive my car. It died on her and she left it on the side of the road and called me to to tell me. I went and picked it up.

It sat and sat and sat. I rebuilt the engine and it sat and sat and sat. I started it once about two and a half years later to make sure that it was ready for some more work.

I have hauled it and moved it to several different homes over the last few years.

I have never given my wife a ride in it, nor has it run since I have been married to her. 12 years now. Wow, time does fly.

I have been collecting parts for it. I have everything I need to make it run. I should be out there working on it, not here at the computer.

I hope that it will forgive me for ignoring it over the last decade and a few years. After all, I did save it from wasting away in a field and hanging out with sheep.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Now I finally know the story...next move might be therapy...just teasing...I know that car will always be part of your family.